Preparation and Filing

How does the tax preparation process work in your office?

We are a drop-off service, as opposed to a done-while-you-wait service. So you don’t have to take half a day out of your life to get your taxes done.

It’s easy. You provide us with your tax documents. We let you know when your return is complete. Obviously, we will contact you with any questions that arise in preparing your return. You also have the opportunity during the intake process to alert us to anything out of the ordinary.

Once the return is complete, you will have the opportunity to schedule a review appointment with our head return preparer to review the return and ask any questions you may have.

How much does a tax return cost?

Unfortunately, the initial answer is we don’t know.  Sounds crazy but read on and you’ll understand.

Our tax preparation fees are set each year on a per form basis.  Returns start in the high $100s and a complex return will have a higher invoice amount.

Because the fees are based on the forms contained in the return, we won’t know until the return is complete how much it will cost. Once the return is complete, our software will print an invoice — and viola — that’s the cost of the return.

Despite the draw back of not knowing what the ultimate cost will be, we believe a per form pricing model is more fair to all involved. We stand by our value proposition and as a result,

WE GUARANTEE that you are under no obligation to purchase the tax return if you are not satisfied with the value received.

What this means is you don’t pay us anything until the return is complete and you are satisfied with the services received.

What documents should I receive from my employer?

Most employees receive a W-2 form. If you are a contractor you may receive a Form 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC.

What documents do I need if I am unemployed?

If you received unemployment benefits from your state over the past year, you must claim that as income and, therefore, pay taxes on those benefits. The unemployment agency should provide you with a 1099-G form, which explains the amount of benefits you drew during the past year. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) receives a copy as well and will tax you at the appropriate rate in your tax bracket. Not everyone owes. If you worked a portion of the past year, chances are you paid payroll taxes and may earn a refund if those deductions were overpaid.

What documents do I need if I am self-employed?

Chances are you received one or more Forms 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC which reports the amount paid to you by your customer(s). If you received these forms gather them up and bring them in along with a list of other income you received, and any business expenses incurred in producing that income. If you used your vehicle in the production of income, you will want to bring in your mileage log. If you have a home office, you will want to bring in the square footage of the office and total square footage of the house along with rent or mortgage interest statement, utilities, HOA, repairs, etc. for the house.
If you are not sure what expenses qualify for a business deduction, list them all and we will determine that for you. We have a worksheet we can provide, just call us at (843) 510-7600 today.

What documents do I need if I am divorced?

Taking necessary steps before tax time will make things easier once you file your taxes for the first time after a divorce. Change your W-4 through your employer so taxes will be withheld at the correct rates. Also, if you (or a family member) changed your name, file Form SS-5 with the Social Security Administration to ensure there aren’t any complications with the IRS.

What information/paperwork will you need to prepare my return?

The exact documents we will need depends on your individual situation. There are certain documents we will need once and certain documents we will need each tax year.  Below is a list of common documents you may have received.


  • Name (First Middle Initial and Last)
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number /ITIN/ATIN



  • Last Year’s Tax Return
  • Valid State Issued ID Card
  • Social Security Card
  • Birth Certificates for Minor Dependents



  •  W-2’s
  • Interest (1099-INT or substitute)
  • Dividend Slips (1099-DIV or substitute)
  • Stock Sales (1099-B or Broker Statement)
  • Self-Employment Income and Expenses (1099-NEC/1099-MISC)
  • Sale of a Personal Residence (1099-S)
  • Rental Income and Expenses (1099-MISC)
  • Sale of any Business Assets
  • Gambling or Lottery Winnings (W-2G for some winnings)
  • State Income Tax Refund (1099-G)
  • Pension Income (1099-R)
  • Estimated Taxes Paid
  • Social Security or Railroad Retirement (SSA-1099 or RRB-1099)
  • IRA or 401(k) Distribution (1099-R)
  • Unemployment Compensation (1099-G)
  • Miscellaneous Income (1099-MISC)



  • Medical Expenses
  • Real Estate or Personal Property Taxes
  • Mortgage Interest
  • Charitable Contributions (cash and non-cash)
  • Employee Business Expenses
  • Gambling Losses
  • Moving Expenses
  • Traditional IRA Contributions
  • Higher Education Expenses
  • Educator Expenses
  • Student Loan Interest



  • Child Care Provider/Address and Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Adoption Expenses
  • Retirement Savings Contributions Credit

When is the deadline to file my taxes?

Individual tax returns are due on April 15 with a 6-month automatic extension to October 15.
Partnership and S-Corporation business tax returns are due on March 15 with a 6-month extension to September 15.
C-Corporation business tax returns are due on April 15 with a 6-month extension to October 15.
In order for the due date to be extended you have to request the extension before the original deadline. The extension only applies to filing (and not paying).
If any deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is extended to the next business day.
If you aren’t sure which deadline applies to you call us today at (843) 510-7600.

When is the earliest I can file my taxes?

You can file, via U.S. Mail, your tax return as soon as the IRS issues the current year updated forms and you have the information you need to prepare the return (i.e., W-2, 1099-MISC, etc.).
However, to electronically file your tax return the IRS has to open up the e-file system. Typically, e-filing begins in mid- to late-January.

Is there a penalty for filing my taxes after the deadline?

The IRS charges a failure-to-file penalty equal to 5% of the unpaid tax for each month the failure continues but capped out at 25%. So, if your return is due April 15 and you file in August or later then you will incur the entire 25% penalty. However, since the penalty is calculated on the unpaid taxes, if you don’t owe taxes or if the IRS owes you a refund, there is no penalty.

What if I haven't filed my taxes in a few years?

If you have multiple years of back taxes, you may want to reach out to our sister company, Turner Vaught Tax Resolution, LLC for an in-depth analysis of your situation.